Campsites are areas in many different parts of the world used for outdoor activities in remote areas.
- Remoteness. Campsites are usually far away from major population centers, reducing the likelihood of the undead and bandits finding your hideout.
- Easy Scavenging. The remoteness also helps with scavenging, as you are in less danger from humans and undead. In forested areas, hunting will be significantly easier and gathering food is also not a problem. Most campsites are nearby a river so fishing and water will probably not be a problems.
- Natural Materials. Forests have natural materials there for you to build with. Trees can make great fortifications, and can help build other useful structures. Also, trees can be climbed to provide a good lookout. Forests are littered with hiding places too, so you would be able to hide from other humans (Hiding against zombies is not recommended.). Remember that enemies can also use the hiding places so be sure to scout around carefully.
- A relatively easy location to clear out if overrun when you arrive
- Many campsites allow trailers and RVs, which are generally well supplied.
- Remoteness. While being remote is useful, being away from society may also be a problem. You are less likely to be found by any sort of rescue, and scavenging for most manmade supplies will be harder. Also, communications from most devices (Satellite devices may still work okay) will be less likely to transmit and receive signals from a long range.
- Reliance. By being near a campsite, you will only be able to rely on fishing, hunting and gathering as a food source, so you have no guarantee that you will be able to get food. Also, not all campsites are near water, so it is necessary to find that as well. Farming in forested areas is difficult for many plants but it is still possible.
- Possibility of already being overrun or occupied by hostile humans.
How to prepareEdit
- Though campsites are set up to give you an early start for the most basic necessities, it is not as easy to gain other useful items. These tips will help your campsite to be more successful.
- Stock up on needed supplies (Especially ones not easily available there), and make sure to have them set up there before it happens. This a golden rule in preparation for using a site. Remember that supplies that you can find there are still useful to have before as you will not have to search as much and every little extra counts.
- Improve your fortifications. Wildlife, and the few humans and zeds in the area can still pose a problem. Try to fortify them if they are there and add other defenses like lookout posts (In the trees) and more walls.
- Make sure to have transport. Even though your remoteness is super useful and you can survive based on just what is there, there will be times when the need to go to a developed area is necessary. Make sure to have some transport (One that is good for carrying multiple people and heavy loads, preferably) to get supplies back to the camp. You will need everything you get.
- Don't get cocky. The low chance of undead and enemy humans being there IS NOT ZERO. It will be low (Usually, but it is varied in areas) so it is not the biggest concern, but do not think you are impossible to find there. A fort built up to be like one meant to keep out hundreds will still be useful in the long run.