The double-barreled shotgun is a break action shotgun with two barrels, either over and under or side by side. The over and under layout is better because the gun stays more balanced after firing a shot. However, the side by side variant is faster to reload. They come in all gauges from .410 to 12 gauge. During the apocalypse, double barrelled shotguns would be of mixed usefulness.
- Very powerful at close ranges.
- Faster reload time than pump action shotguns (though a more frequent reload)
- Fairly common
- Ammo for this gun is easy to find
- Very frequent reload (only after 2 shots)
- Very loud
- Only useful at close ranges, unless using slug rounds
- High recoil