|Weapon Type: Assault Rifle|
|Size: 39.5 in (1,003 mm)|
|Fire Modes: |
|Ammunition: 5.56×45mm NATO|
|Feeding System: |
|Rate of Fire: 700-950 rounds/min cyclic|
|Range: 550 m (601 yd)-800 m (875 yd)|
The M16 is a select-fire military variant of the AR-15 rifle. It remains as one of the standard issued rifles of the US military and various others. The weapon was the result of America's search for one automatic rifle to replace as many rifles and SMGs alike from World War 2 and the Korean War. They found that the M14 was uncontrollable in full auto and that troops couldn't carry enough ammo to keep up with the firepower of the AK-47, so that meant having to find a lightweight and smaller caliber rifle to replace them.
The AR-15 was offered, but many didn't like the idea of it going into service until Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara found it to be a suitable replacement. Having been redesigned, the weapon was now designated the M16 and it began service in 1963. Since then, the rifle remains a staple in the arsenal of a number of NATO allies.
The M16 is a lightweight, select-fire weapon composed of strong hard plastics with a steel barrel, bolt and bolt carrier. They are far lighter than weapons like the AK series of rifles and its cartridge is smaller, meaning more ammo can be carried.
The M16 incorporates a fire selector that allows boths semi-automatic and a three-round burst setting in the most common models (the M16A2 and M16A4). The M16A1 and M16A3 models, much less common, offer semi-automatic and fully automatic settings. The weapon's recoil is lower than that of both the M14 and AK, giving it an edge against the effects of muzzle climb.
- Select-fire, gives it an edge in terms of accuracy. Lower recoil also contributes to accuracy as well.
- Composed of lightweight materials, reducing a person's loadout weight.
- Some attachments are good for further reduction in recoil and handling, as well as accuracy.
- Magazine fed making it easier to reload.
- NATO standard 5.56mm ammunition is plentiful and can be restocked. Also is of a smaller caliber, allowing troops to carry more rounds than other rifles.
- Full auto and sometimes burst may not hit the head of a zombie, but you may also run out of ammo quicker.