Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In 2012 this rifle can be had for around $130, great price for a main battle rifle! Just remember that not every Mosin-Nagant is of the same quality. Rifles range from mint to worn. When buying, look through the rack of Mosin-Nagants and pick the best ones.
- M91/30 - This is the most common model. It is basically the same as the M1891 except it barrel is 29 inches long, and its rear sight is marked with meters.
- M38 - Carbine variant with 20.2 inch barrel.
- M44 - Same as M38, but it has a folding bayonet.
Pros and consEdit
- Extremely reliable.
- The rifle is quite cheap.
- Ammo is very cheap, especially if surplus ammuntion is available in your area.
- Can mount a bayonet.
- Can be used as a club if need be.
- A 7.62x54mmR bullet can go through a 1/2 of steel at 300 yards.
- 5 round magazine promotes ammo conservation.
- A heavy rifle, at 8 pounds (3.6287 kilograms), this is both a pro and a con.
- Stiff, ratcheting bolt can be difficult for those unaccustomed to it. The bolt will click twice before you can move it back (watch the video below on one way to help overcome that problem).
- For use as a long range rifle, it is difficult to produce 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards under normal circumstances .
- Slow to reload unless using stripper clips.
- The short-barreled M38 and M44 variants are very loud and also have harsh recoil. The felt recoil can be made softer by purchasing a recoil pad online.
- Using surplus ammo in an M38 or M44 is not recommended. Surplus 7.62x54mmR ammo is not optimized for the shorter 20.2 inch carbine barrels. When those bullets leave the muzzle of a 20.2 inch barrel, they've still got burning powder behind them which blows out of the barrel and produces a dazzling blossom of flame. It also subjects the shooter to a grenade-like concussion.