While many zombie researchers believe that a base is vital for long-term survival of a zombie outbreak, there are respected researchers that hold the exact opposite view; that bases - however formidable - eventually attract too much attention, and become besieged and wither away due to lack of supplies. Others believe nothing built by man is truly impenetrable. A nomadic existence is a choice some survivors will make, and those survivors face very different obstacles than a static defense (e.g. scouting the area for any zombies, keeping the makeshift camp secure enough to get sleep, defending yourself from hostile locals that may desire your supplies).
How wanderers survive consist mostly on five things:
- Scavenging: All survivors will have to find replacements for their consumables at some point. However some wanderers may depend entirely on scavenging.
- Hunting: Similar to early humans, some groups may survive through hunting animals.
- Herding: Like many nomadic tribes some people travel with herds of animals, which they live on. Only plausible in the most remote areas of the world.
- Trading: If a stable base is established, wanderers may trade supplies with them.
- Raiding: Some wanderers survive on attacking other survivors. These are called bandits.