| Please do not add your own invented slang terms.
This section is for terms introduced in notable works, or introduced in fields relevant to the topic.
This page deals with slang terms for a Zombie apocalypse, in the heat of the moment it's easy to garble in horror at the situation and important messages are lost so easy terms are introduced by the military which are inevitably adopted and mutated by civilians. Due to the scattered human population in a post-apocalyptic setting there are various redundancies as uconnected areas will use differing dialects.
Breathers- All survivors
Ferals - Humans regressed to animal instincts. Typically children surviving alone.
Quislings - People that become delusional and think they are zombies, themselves
Grunts - Infantry
Hotties - Have flame throwers
Boot - New soldier in training
Cavalry - Usually scout helicopters or other fast and light vehicles
Spec Ops/Operators - Special Operations qualified personnel
- Cannibal Corpses
- Crawlers/Draggers/Ankle-Biters - No legs but have arm(s)
- Creepy Crawlies (from "The Walking Dead" video game)
- Beaters (From the novel "Aftertime")
- Dead Heads
- Dead Beats
- Infected - Broad term for zombie, although technically, it refers specifically to living people transformed by a virus. Typically move at full human speed.
- Lame brains
- Lurker (zombies that hide in dark places)
- Meat bags
- Monsters (Used in "The Walking Dead")
- Mudo (Forest of Hands and Teeth)
- Parents: (The Dead)
- Revived/Revitalized:(The Zom-B Chronicles) Though, the revitalized maintain the memory of their former life and still have free will
- Roamers (Used in "The Walking Dead")
- Rotter (Zombies that have been rotting for a long time)
- Skels/Skeletons (Zone One)
- Stragglers (Zone One)
- Swimmer (a Bloated Zombie)
- Tin cans (in riot gear or any metal armor)
- The living dead
- The walking dead
- Unconsecrated (Forest of Hands and Teeth)
- Whiskey Delta (Left 4 Dead)
- Zed heads
- ZQN (I am a Hero)